Many patients who are severely frightened of becoming sick do not take even ordinary measures to lessen the risks of disease. It is important that these patients learn what they can do to prevent serious illness and premature death.
1. Smoking cigarettes is responsible for at least one third of all cardiovascular and cancer deaths and leads to many other serious diseases. Stopping smoking lowers much of this risk.
2. A healthy diet significantly diminishes the possibility of contracting serious illness.
3. There is evidence that taking multivitamins without iron lowers the risk of illness. Vitamin E may be helpful as well as B vitamins, such as folic acid and B 12, and Vitamin D. Calcium lowers the risk of osteoporosis, hypertension and probably colon cancer. Patients should check with their physicians before taking any supplements and should be especially careful with herbal supplements. Some herbal supplements are very dangerous.
4. It’s not only unhealthy, it’s demoralizing to be obese. Obesity seriously affects arthritis, heart disease, and several other diseases. Obese persons are also exposed to social prejudices against “fat” people.
5. Some medicines, like baby aspirin, can lower the risk of developing diseases like osteoporosis or coronary artery disease.
6. Many patients with health anxiety are at an age or in a situation where death is often caused by accidents or violence. Using seat belts lowers risk of injury from an automobile accident. On the other hand, having a gun in the house increases the chances of dying violently. Depression, a common and treatable disorder, may lead to suicide.
7. A sedentary lifestyle increases the risk of heart disease and other illnesses. Physical activity has a positive effect on morale.
Why would people who are preoccupied by the thought of dying prematurely fail to take commonplace precautions? Perhaps the fear may actually be of ending up helpless and alone.
Read the full article here: Health Worriers Who Don’t Take Care of Their Health