When you hear the word gelatin you may think of a tasty, sweet dessert. Yet, gelatin contains surprising qualities that probably didn’t realize even existed. These range from the health of your skin, helping you sleep better, and even lose weight.
Gelatin is actually comprised mostly of protein. It is made by boiling the bones, skin, and cartilage of animals in order to retrieve collagen. Processed gelatin has no flavor or color, and is added to foods such as soups, desserts, and sauces. It is also found in cosmetics, medications, and chewy candy.
There are several kinds of amino acids that can be found in gelatin. Since gelatin is derived from animal bones, many of these amino acids are usually found only in the animal bones, which humans usually don’t consume. Some of these acids include:
Benefits of gelatin consumption
- Has a lot of protein with 2 grams per half a cup of gelatin.
- Aiding the digestive system by helping the mucosal lining of the stomach as well as stimulating the making of digestive enzymes.
- Blood sugar control through the amino acid glycine.
- Helping your bones with calcium absorption to keep them healthy.
- Is a source of lysine, which is important for bone health but the human body cannot make on its own.
- Contributes to weight loss because of high protein content and has few calories. It may also help with keeping the hormones in check that make us hungry. However, it is better to get gelatin from non-sugary sources as opposed to junk food.
- Can reduce inflammation and joint problems thanks to the collagen found in gelatin.
- Collagen also helps with keeping your skin healthy and firm.
Want to learn more about how gelatin can help keep you healthy? You can read the full post by Medical News Today here: Eight Health Benefits of Gelatin.