The coronavirus (Covid-19) is causing much alarm in our communities worldwide, and new information is being released every day about how this virus continues to spread and the impact on our health and economy. It’s a difficult time, as we must employ physical distancing and heightened precautions. We at Holistica are here to support our patients and community in providing immune supportive measures and other scientific and medically sound advice about what you can do to prevent this illness and keep you and your family safe. Here are some things to know:
The coronavirus tends to present with the following symptoms, 2-14 days after exposure:
- Fever >100.4F
- Shortness of breath
People often forget that March through May are still the height of viral illness, influenza, and other respiratory illnesses that also cause the above symptoms. It can be difficult to know if you are experiencing symptoms related to Covid-19 or something else. Please call us if you are experiencing any of the above symptoms, or symptoms unusual to you, so that we can guide you on next steps. If it is after hours, please go to your local urgent care or emergency room.
If you develop emergency warning signs for COVID-19, get medical attention immediately. Emergency warning signs include:
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- Persistent pain or pressure in the chest
- New confusion or inability to arouse
- Bluish lips or face
**Note: these are not all the signs and symptoms of Covid-19, so if you are experiencing anything unusual or concerning for you, please call us. We are a resource to you.
What to Do When You’re Sick
If you are sick, follow the CDC guidelines, which include staying at home, avoiding public areas or close contact with other people or animals, frequent hand washing and hand sanitizing, wearing a mask when around others, covering your cough and sneeze, avoid touching your eyes, nose, mouth with unwashed hands, and disinfecting surfaces. You can also call us for advice on supportive care you can do at home to help alleviate symptoms and recover from your illness. We continue to be open Monday through Friday, 9am-5pm, and are answering phones and emails.
Support Your Vital Force
Naturopathic medicine is rooted in optimizing your vital force so that your body has the ability to heal itself. The stronger the vital force, the more powerful healing response. Vitality is derived from living a life in accordance with the natural law: healthy diet, balanced work and stress, good sleep, and sufficient time in nature. Vitality is also achieved by removing obstacles (such as toxins, pesticides, heavy metals, bacteria, parasites) and providing the body with key nutrients that support the immune system. Please see a list of our recommendations to the right of the screen. Most of these nutrients are inexpensive and should always be stocked in your cupboard to use at first sign of illness.
Some basic guidelines:
- Continue a diet rich in vitamins and minerals from fruits and vegetables and eat clean and lean protein and good fats.
- Drink 3 liters of water per day.
- Practice good sleep hygiene.
- Continue to exercise daily (kids especially need at least 60 minutes of movement daily).
- Try to get fresh air and keep your stress at a minimum, which we know is difficult during this time of so much uncertainty and change, but it will truly make a difference in your healing and mental health.
Botanical Anti-Viral & Immune Support
The immune system is a dynamic system involving numerous reactions and cellular responses once exposed to pathogens. Through a process called immunomodulation, the immune system regulates various immune cells against invaders, malignant cells and all other diseases. Viral interactions with the first line of defense “innate” immune system play a central role in determining the outcome of infection.
Botanical Medicines offer immune protection against viral infections of all kinds by supporting the first line of defense against exposures. These actions include, modulating certain cells responses and attacking pathogens (Read article by Donnie Yance, MH, CN about Elderberry). The use of botanical medicine is well documented in the fight against viral pathogens. The fight against COVID is no exception.
Anti-viral herbs are available at Holistica Integrative Care and have been chosen with precision to support your immune system against the exposure to viral pathogens. Our premade tincture of anti-veral herbs is available for you to pick up curbside, or we will ship to your home address. Call us at 303-449-3777 Mon-Fri 9am-5pm or email us at email@example.com.
Here are the CDC’s recommendations for testing at this time. Testing is still limited and difficult to obtain.
In order to move forward toward some kind of evaluation of our patients, we are offering a test that has been used to test antibodies for COVID-19. We have spoken to the chief science officer of KBMO Diagnostics, who makes this test, and while it is not FDA approved, we are offering this test as we feel it meets scientifically rigorous examination. This test has been run on over 2 million patients. It was the first antibody test to be approved by the Chinese FDA. It is CE marked and submitted to the FDA on March 22nd.
If you or a family member would like to get tested, please contact Holistica, and we will help you determine if this is the right test for you. Test results need to be evaluated on a case by case basis due to the multiple factors that impact a positive or false negative diagnosis (e.g. the unknowns about how long the virus is shedding and the incubation phase of the illness).
What your results mean:
- If immunoglobulin tests are all negative, the test indicates the person has not been recently exposed to the COVID-19 virus.
- If the test shows only IgM, the person is likely in the early stage of the virus infection and likely very infective.
- If IgM and IgG are positive, the person is likely in the middle stage of infection and still likely infective.
- If the person is only positive for IgG, then the person is either over the infection or in its last stage. They are most likely no longer able to transmit the virus and, we cannot be certain, but likely this person carries immunity to this viral strain.
How to get tested:
- Set up an appointment for a blood draw: Call 303-449-3777 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In order to receive a test, go to https://kbmodiagnostics.com/covid-19-test-kit-order-form-patients. Use Physician Reference Number (C-1901714) to order the test. If you have any questions, you can email KBMO email@example.com or call them at: 1-617-933-8130
- Cost is $150 to KBMO. There is a $25 phlebotomy fee at Holistica.
- KBMO also offers a fingerstick test that is as accurate as the test requiring a blood draw and can be done at home.
- If you are currently ill, please make separate arrangements with us for an at home blood draw.
- Please wear a mask when you come to the clinic.
- Your blood draw will take place in the front of the building.
- Results take 24-48 hours.
Test results need to be discussed with your provider to understand the implications moving forward for you. A 15-minute appointment to discuss test results is highly recommended. Cost is $50.
As of March 13, 2020, the government waived laws to enable telemedicine so that providers could evaluate and treat patients from a distance. We are continuing to take new patients and support our current patients via phone. Please call us with any questions or concerns. Our staff are ready to help, and we will do our best to continue to help you navigate this uncertain time.
To find out more about our Covid-19 Clinical Guidelines to keep our clinic safe for our patients, please click HERE.
Check out Dr. Shackelton’s other articles related to Coronavirus:
Immune Supportive Recommendations
Vitamin D3 5,000 iu 1-2x/day with food
Vitamin A 25,000iu daily with food (increase to 50,000iu for 3-5 days when sick)
Vitamin C 1000mg, 3-4x/day (to bowel tolerance)
Zinc picolinate 30mg, 1-2x/day with food
Selenium 200mcg, 1-2x daily with food
Arabinex, 1-2 scoops per day
Holistica anti-viral herbal blend, 3 droppers, 2-3 times per day w/o food
Avoid refined sugar & alcohol
Get exercise, fresh air & sunshine
Sleep – minimum 7-8 hours per day
Immune Supportive Recommendations
(Children 2+ Years)
Vitamin D3 2,000 iu daily with food
Vitamin A 5,000 iu daily with food
Vitamin C 250-500mg daily (to bowel tolerance)
Zinc picolinate 10-15mg daily with food
Arabinex, 1 scoop per day
Probiotics 10,000 CFU daily
Avoid refined sugar
Get exercise, fresh air & sunshine – kids need 60 min of movement daily
Sleep – 8-10 hours per night, depending on age