Dr. Mark Hyman writes on his blog how Functional Medicine can help treat serious conditions such as chronic fatigue and MS. He knows from personal experience the role Functional Medicine can play for treating these kinds of medical problems.
When he was a young physician, Dr. Hyman struggled with chronic fatigue syndrome. He was always tired and found it hard to complete daily activities. He also was in a “brain fog” that made it hard for him to think clearly. It was only when he discovered Functional Medicine was he truly able to heal himself.
A colleague of Dr. Hyman was diagnosed with MS in 2000. This left her stuck in a wheelchair, yet she was able to eventually complete a bicycle tour thanks to Functional Medicine.
How to utilize Functional Medicine
- Eating a diet composed of whole, fresh foods and not loaded up with sugars or oils from safflower, corn, or soy.
- Getting plenty of sleep each night.
- Making sure you don’t have any allergies.
- Checking for toxins in your body, such as heavy metals.
- Increasing your take of omega-3 fatty acids which are found in wild salmon, flaxseeds, and omega-3 eggs.
- Get assessed for any infections.
- Move your body! Exercise helps with inflammation.
- Practice relaxation techniques to manage stress.
- Pay attention to your gut flora.
- Stay away from “drugs” including caffeine, sugar, and alcohol.
As you can see, Functional Medicine involves more than taking a pill or treating a specific problem. It’s about making sure your body as a whole is well taken care of and that you are not putting in things that can harm you.
Want to learn more about how Functional Medicine can help you? Read the full post here: “Getting to the Root Cause of MS and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.”