Are you experiencing heartburn, nausea, and other general stomach discomfort? You might have acid reflux disease, a condition that can make life difficult for those who have it. The website All4naturalhealth.com discusses the causes and symptoms of acid reflux as well as treatment options.
What is Acid Reflux Disease?
Also known as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), the condition is caused by stomach acid backing up into the esophagus, which can cause inflammation or irritation of the lining of the esophagus. Acid reflux may occur because:
- The esophageal sphincter muscle is not working properly.
- Digestive acids in the stomach are lacking.
- Abdominal pressure caused by excessive body weight or pregnancy.
Symptoms of Acid Reflux Disease
People who experience acid reflux disease may experience:
- Heartburn after eating a meal.
- Nausea from the regurgitation of stomach acid back into the mouth.
- Dyspepsia, which is another word for general stomach discomfort.
- Coughing or symptoms similar to asthma.
This symptoms can make acid reflux disease an uncomfortable condition that can
interfere with your daily life.
Ways to Treat Acid Reflux Disease
Acid reflux can be treated in several ways, such as:
- Losing weight: for people who carry a lot of body fat.
- Diet: avoid foods that have a high acid content.
- Natural remedies: including aloe vera, apple cider vinegar, ginger root, slippery elm bark, hydrochloric acid, and deglycyrrhizinated licorice root (DGL).
- Lifestyle improvements: exercise, stop smoking, no alcohol, sleep on your right side and elevate your head, stop eating for the day 2-3 hours before you go to bed.
- Antacids: only used short-term, as extended use can cause digestive problems.
Left untreated, acid reflux can cause scarring in the esophagus, which makes it harder to swallow. Also, prolonged damage to the cells in the esophagus can make them more prone to developing cancer. Acid reflux is a condition that can cause long-term damage if left untreated. Want to know more about acid reflux?
Read the full article here: Acid Reflux Disease Symptoms and Causes